JYM partners with Cultural Vistas to facilitate internships during the semester break or during the second semester.
• Full-Year students may apply for an internship during the semester break (Feb-Mar) or during the second semester (Sommersemester). Please note that internships during the semester break may not be taken for credit.
• Second-Semester-Only students may apply for an internship during the second semester (Sommersemester).
• JYM pays the Placement Fee for students who accept an internship offer arranged by Cultural Vistas.
1. Obtain Your Advisor's Approval
Because each school may have a different policy governing the granting of academic credit for internship experience, you will need to work closely with the advisor who approves your Proposed Schedule of Courses on the JYM application.
2. Complete the JYM Application Form
Follow the instructions under How to Apply and check "Internship with Cultural Vistas" on the Application Form. On the Proposed Schedule of Courses, enter JYG 5890 Overseas Internship (Cr. 3).
3. Compile the Documents required by Cultural Vistas
Download and complete the Cultural Vistas Internship Application Supplement (Word)
Plan ahead! You will need to provide:
• a German language Lebenslauf (here is a sample Lebenslauf as PDF)
• an English language Resume
• a Personal Statement regarding your expectations
• a completed Participant Request Form (p.2 of the Supplement above)
4. Send all Documents to JYM at the same time
Send both the Cultural Vistas Internship Application Supplement material required and the JYM Application Form together to JYM in Detroit by March 15 (for full year students) or by Oct 1 (for second semester only students).
Notification of Acceptance
Based on the information you provide on the Internship Form, Cultural Vistas will inform JYM if they are able to secure an internship for you that matches your interests and field of study. If yes, Cultural Vistas will then contact you directly, ask for additional information if needed, and arrange a telephone interview.
Students earn credit for academic work associated with the internship, not for the internship experience alone. In order to receive credit for an internship, students must first sign up for JYG 5890 Overseas Internship (3 credits). They may do so only if this has been approved by their home school advisor as indicated on their Application Form.
Before credit is awarded for the internship, students must submit an Internship Portfolio (PDF) to the JYM resident director by the end of the semester in which the internship occurred. This applies to internships arranged through Cultural Vistas, as well as internships students may have obtained on their own.