2017-18 Program Fee: $11,050 per Semester
Total Cost of Participation (breakdown of tuition, housing, living expenses):
2018-19 Fees and Expenses 2018-19 (PDF)
JYM awards $60,000+ each year, and also check out our list of Other Scholarships
The JYM Program Fee includes tuition, housing, insurance, and more
• Tuition (includes admission to LMU Munich)
- includes housing throughout the semester
- includes housing between semesters for full year students
- includes monthly Radio and TV License Fees for student rooms
- includes per-semester Studentenwerk / Student Services Fees
• Health Insurance (Comprehensive German Health Insurance)
• Residency Permit
• On-site support from Resident Director and Staff at JYM Institute
• On-Site Orientation and support throughout the program
• JYM Area Studies and Advanced Language Instruction
• Theater/Museum tickets for JYM courses
• Cultural Vistas Internship Placement Fee (if applicable)
• Professional and Social Events at JYM
• Wayne State University Transcript
• Pre-Departure Bulletin for Students and Parents
• Re-Entry and Alumni Support (incl. JYM Job Board)
1. Estimate of basic personal expenses: $3,200 per semester.
The JYM Program Fee does not include Personal Expenses. Basic personal expenses refer to meals/food, books & supplies, and incidental/personal purchases while in Munich (approx. 500 Euro per month). Students may wish to adjust this amount higher or lower depending on their own particular lifestyles and resources. And the US Dollar equivalent of this estimate will also depend on the USD-EUR exchange rate.
Extensive vacation travel or eating in restaurants will certainly exceed our estimate. But JYM students always tend to find bargains and cheap deals, and rather quickly they develop spending habits which optimize their financial resources. Instructions on how to receive money in Munich and manage living expenses are detailed in the Pre-departure Information Bulletin.
JYM students are also allowed to find part-time jobs while in Munich which can offset basic personal expenses.
Students attending JYM for the full year will need some extra food and travel money for the semester break. They may keep their room during the break at no extra cost.
2. Round-Trip International Air Fare: $1200 (estimate)
Depending on the US departure city, this estimate will vary. It could be higher than the above estimate. Students must book a round-trip flight to/from Germany in order to avoid serious problems with EU Schengen Zone regulations. (For example: Even if you booked a round-trip flight to Italy, you will not be allowed to board the plane because in order to do so, you would need a visa to stay in Italy for more than 90 days. But you will be living in Germany, not Italy. You'll be getting your residency permit in Germany, not Italy. So book a flight to Germany.)